An Eccentric From Gugulethu
The eccentric rapper was born in Gugulethu during the early-80s, he embodies the retro-become-nouveau personality dedicated to representing Cape Town art and music scene in a bigger way.
Since the inception of Ill Skillz back in 2005, Uno July has been active along with his creative-partner Jimmy Flexx, recording a catalogue of 7 projects together within the 10 years span, and prominently sharing stages with international artists such as Slum Village, Kendrick Lamar, Lauryn Hill, Mos Def, DJ Premier, Pharoahe Monch, Jean Grae, Atmosphere, Blu & Exile. Locally they are well recognised as well rubbing shoulders with the likes of Tumi, Proverb, AKA, Reason, Prophets Of The City, Black Coffee, Hugh Masekela, Zaki Ibrahim, Okmalumkoolkat, Prokid and Khuli Chana just to name a few.
Tours and Collaborations
– Touring Europe with my idols Slum Village and Masta Ace in 2008.
– Hype Magazine top 5 unsigned act 2009.
– Elle Magazine top 5 artists to look out for in 2010.
– Cosmopolitan Magazine Rocks artist features 2010.
– The 24 Hour Project at Red Bull Music Studios Cape Town in 2010.
– The 2nd edition of The 24 Hour Project at Red Bull Music Studios London in 2011.
– 14 Page feature in Rolling Stone SA magazine in 2012.
– Featured at the prestigious Cape Town International Jazz Festival in 2012.
– Appeared at Kendrick Lamar’s “Good Kid Maad City Tour” at the Belville Velodrome in 2013.
– In 2015 he was named by GQ Magazine as SA’s cool “Top 35 Under 35.
– 66 Newmarket Street, Woodstock Cape Town