Lexus Design Award 2020 for Young Creative Talents
Deadline: October 14, 2019
Entries are invited for the Lexus Design Award 2020. The Lexus Design Award calls upon young creative talent around the world to “Design for a Better Tomorrow”. Since 2013, this international design competition has provided the chance of a lifetime for up-and-coming designers to win the prestigious award for innovative design excellence, fund and build their prototype with world-class mentors, and reach unparalleled exposure by exhibiting at Milan Design Week.
Through the “Design for a Better Tomorrow” directive, they are looking for design that goes beyond the mastery of shape, form and function, and becomes a solution to overcome challenges by incorporating three principles fundamental to Lexus: “Anticipate. Innovate. Captivate.” As with “Solgami”, the 2019 LDA Finalist, designs will anticipate the needs of the user experience as well as benefit society, while demonstrating innovation with fresh, imaginative solutions, and captivate their audience.
Last year, creators from 65 countries submitted design proposals, many of which leveraged the power of technology to design for a better tomorrow. The submissions spanned across the categories of Industrial Design, Architecture, Technology/Engineering, Interior Design, and Fashion Design.
- 6 Finalists will be chosen to attend Milan Design Week where prototypes of their submitted proposals will be exhibited at the 2020 Lexus Design Event. At Milan, the 6 Finalists will present their works to a panel of esteemed judges and one Grand Prix Winner will be selected.
- Before exhibiting in Milan, Finalists will be invited to New York City to participate in a workshop with world class design professionals serving as Mentors to develop their prototypes. There will be continual follow-up by the Mentors as the Finalists devlop their designs into physical prototypes. Prototype production costs up to 3 million JPY (over $25,000 USD), including tax, will be covered.
- Finalists will receive an Award Certificate and PR assistance through an Award Press Kit.
- Open to professionals, students and design enthusiasts around the world;
- Entrants should be individuals who have reached the age of majority in their home country.
The shortlist and the Finalists will be selected based on the following judging criteria:
- Anticipate: Does the concept and design anticipate not only the needs of the user experience, but the needs of society?
- Innovate: Does the design demonstrate the new thinking and originality in its proposal and execution?
- Captivate: Is the design intriguing and compelling when realized in concept and execution?