Deadline: July 31, 2021
The Market for African Performing Arts (MASA)is calling on artists from sub-Saharan Africa to apply for the 12th edition of its event in Abidjan, Ivory Coast from 5 to 12 March 2022.
Launched in 1993, the biannual event is a cultural development programme that is dedicated to the African performing arts sector. It consists of a market, festival and forum for performing arts professionals to network and discuss their work. The last edition was held in March and featured 200 shows, which were hosted on eight stages by more than 1700 artists.
Applications are open in the following categories:
- Contemporary dance
- Circus and the puppet
- Heritage dance
- Open to artists from sub-Saharan Africa.
- The show must be less than three years old.
- The size of the group, including the management team and the manager must not exceed:
- Three people for the humour
- Three people for the slam
- Four people for the story
- Eight people for contemporary dance (for the solo: three people)
- 10 people for the circus and the puppet
- 10 people for the music
- 10 people for the theatre
- 15 people for the heritage dance
- The sets and accessories must not be heavy or bulky and must be transportable on scheduled flights.
The application file for the official selection of MASA 2022 will include:
- A letter of application addressed to the General Management of MASA;
- Three (3) high definition (HD) group scene photos;
- A video recording of the show. Teasers and video clips are not accepted;
- A list of creations and broadcasts of the last three (3) years or a press-book;
- A distribution sheet indicating:
- an e-mail address and a telephone number of the group referent;
- the group’s departure city (NB: only one departure and return city for the whole group without exception);
- the list of names of the persons composing the group with the mention of the date of birth and the function in the group;
- the names and surnames of the stage manager or manager for music, of the administrator for other disciplines;
- the names and surnames of the author, director or choreographer.
- A presentation of the show specifying:
- the date of creation;
- the theme and the process;
- the summary of the story staged for storytelling, humor, dance and theater;
- song lyrics for music and slam.
- The technical sheet indicating:
- the desired scene dimensions;
- the lighting and sound needs of the show and the necessary technical staff;
- the duration of the assembly and disassembly of the show;
- the weight and volume of the sets and accessories.
To apply, interested individuals can either fill the application form here or send a printed application by post to the following address:
Direction Générale du MASA
17 Boulevard Roume 09 BP 2877
For more information, visit MASA